Friday 20 November 2015

Videogame Character Development - Summary

At this point, I am happy with my character model, I am aware there are ways I can improve upon the model, such as textures and UV layout, I will be looking to improve these aspects from this point on.
I laid out my UV's with one eye on my current mesh and one eye on additional pieces which had been cut, but could be added at a later date and as such, I have a few spaces in which the UV's could be expanded, allowing for more detail within my current mesh.

Looking at the poly count, this is also a factor which I would change through another development pipeline, I may start with a similar mesh but I would look to increase the level of detail throughout the model and in the face especially.
Having a poly budget of 44,000 Tris and clocking in my final textured piece at 8,088 Tris altogether works both for and against me. Against me in the sense that I have a huge percentage of my poly count remaining, and could improve the character exponentially by utilising the rest of it, whilst accounting for this I must also take into account the extra pieces I was intending to model, but did not get to.
This poly count also works in my favour in a sense that I now know I can work to a low poly budget and come out at the end with a character I am happy with, this could translate into future work, for example if I were to work on a character further down the line for a game on a platform with less capabilities therefore limiting my poly count drastically, I am fairly confident that I could limit my low poly modelling with relative ease and produce a worthy character.

I had originally intended for my character to have a cloak, a holster and a gun, these are all features which I have had to cut out due to time constraints.
I still intend on modelling a gun for my character, but have chosen to go for a less intricate design, regardless of whether or not I fit it in with the time I have remaining, I will be modelling a Winchester Model 1887 shotgun for my character, I was originally intending on modelling an intricately detailed revolver to go with him.

Any further progress I make with this character and the additional accessories will be documented here and the blog will be updated accordingly.

Video Render viewable HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment