Sunday 15 November 2015

Videogame Character Development - Creating the extras.

As I had concepted a character which featured a cowboy hat and boots, I needed to create these additional meshes within Maya, as they were to be important additional factors to my characters look.

I began modelling the hat by using a cylinder, making use of many subdivisions and lots of vertices to manipulate the hat into a desirable shape, making sure to model the hat as a similar scale to the head so as it would fit onto the head with relative ease.
I selected rings of vertices and used the mainly the scale and translate tools to modify their positions.


I also needed to model a boot for my character, and tried two different methods before I got a boot I was happy with, as the first did not yield desirable results.

I started with a base cube, inserted a couple of extra edge loops and extruded a face to create the lip of the sole, from here I created the heel and built upward on the cube to create a boot which I was happy with, and from here I could progress forward.


I needed to UV these meshes also, in accordance with the other geometry my character is comprised of, I repeated the same methods as before, splitting the UVs on one side of the model in order to unwrap it neatly.

Once both the boot and the hat were unwrapped, I used the remaining space within my texture sheet to allocate them a place at the bottom and top right respectively.


From this point I was able to begin the development of my high poly meshes within Mudbox.



No comments:

Post a Comment